After last year’s very enjoyable participation in the Dieppe Raid (an annual cycling event which has been run for 46 years) we are proposing to organise a Southampton CTC holiday to Dieppe for the 2020 event and stay a few extra days to enjoy the countryside of northern France. If you want to find out more about the event or hotel click on the links in the email or speak to one of the gang who went last year.
The itinerary would be along the following lines although obviously people are free to choose to do their own thing with their time in Dieppe if they wish:
Sat 27th June 2020
– AM Ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe – this either involves an early start from Southampton by car (suggest people share) or for people to get to Newhaven the day before and stay the night (at their own additional cost). Parking at the ferry terminal is a bit limited but is only £5 per day – there is also a free car park next door plus parking in Newhaven which is a few hundred metres away.
– PM Short ride (approximately 1 mile) from Dieppe ferry terminal to Hotel Windsor in Dieppe followed by free time exploring Dieppe
Sun 28th June 2020
– AM/PM – Take part in the Dieppe Raid – there are various route distances on offer – this year there was a 30, 60, 90 and 140km route (all marked out on the road) as well as a walk alternative.
Mon 29 June 2020
– Organised club ride(s) from Dieppe – there are various destinations along the coast, into the countryside or a longer day ride.
Tue 30 Jun 2020
– Organised club ride(s) from Dieppe
Wed 1st July 2020
– AM Short organised club ride from Dieppe plus ride to ferry terminal
– PM Ferry from Dieppe to Newhaven
In terms of costs, presently we are looking at keeping the coast as they were in 2019, (although the ferry is slightly cheaper). The hotel costs will depend on the exchange rate at the time.
– For a person sharing – £257 (£6 for event entry, £32 return ferry trip, £54 per night B&B at Hotel Windsor)
– For a person who wants their own room – £390 (£6 for event entry, £32 return ferry trip, £88 per night B&B at Hotel Windsor)
– Lunch and evening meals would be at additional cost although there are plenty of places to eat in Dieppe to suit all budgets
– This includes group discounts for both the ferry and hotel as part of the Dieppe Raid event
– We would expect to take payment for the trip in advance (date to be confirmed) and would not expect to refund people unless we could find someone to take their place
– You will need to complete the entry form for the Dieppe Tour
If you are interested then please let email Alan (email@example.com) with the following information as soon as possible:
– Email address
– Phone number
– Shared or single room
– If you are coming by car
– How many other people you would be willing to share the car journey to/from Newhaven with (assume they have 1 bike each)
– Whether you would be willing to lead a ride while out in Dieppe
Alan will be handling the ferry bookings and Gordon will be dealing with the hotel accommodation.
This will not commit you to coming at this stage, but will help give us an indication of numbers and allow us to come back to you with more accurate costs based on room sharing etc.